Virginia Tech's Department of Geosciences focuses on research, education, and outreach dealing with the nature of the earth. Our students and faculty investigate earth processes at scales that range from atomic to planetary. Our undergraduate program offers B.S. degrees with Geology, Geochemistry, Geophysics, and Earth Sciences Education options and our graduate program offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in one of our many research areas. Our department also operates the Museum of Geosciences, open to the public and located in 2062 Derring Hall.
- Global Change Center researchers help water authority create ‘best water possible,’ prepare for warmer temperatures
- Virginia Tech teams with Colorado School of Mines to help success rates of minerals explorations
- Marc Edwards and Shuhai Xiao named as Virginia Outstanding Scientists for 2017
- Patricia Dove awarded Thomas Jefferson Medal for Outstanding Contributions to Natural Science
- Virginia Tech geoscientists size-up early dinosaurs, find surprising variation