Virginia Tech's Department of Geosciences focuses on research, education, and outreach dealing with the nature of the earth. Our students and faculty investigate earth processes at scales that range from atomic to planetary. Our graduate program offers M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in one of our many research areas. We encourage interdisciplinary approaches to research in the geosciences, both within the department and through interdepartmental programs.
Registration, Courses, and Requirements
- Registrar's Office
- Graduate Catalog
- Geosciences Graduate Level Courses
After clicking the above link, click the "Course Listing" tab to see the list of Geosciences graduate courses.
- Geosciences Graduate Handbook
- Graduate School Policies and Procedures
- International Student Requirements
- Medical Insurance Requirements
Graduate Student Pre-Application
- Submitting this pre-application simply indicates your interest in our program and does not incur any cost or obligation on your part. We strongly encourage you to directly contact faculty in the areas you are interested in pursuing, to determine whether there are open positions and to discuss possible research directions.
- The department begins reviewing official applications January 5 for Fall admission and October 2 for Spring admission. We recommend that prospective students submit applications by the listed dates, but we accept applications at anytime.
- Google Form for Pre-Application