The Museum is housed in the VT Department of Geosciences, in room 2062 Derring Hall, Virginia Tech, 926 West Campus Drive, Blacksburg, Virginia. Derring Hall [37°13' 46.6"N, 80°13' 35.6"W] is located near West Campus Drive, close to the Duck Pond on the Virginia Tech campus. "Search Places" for Derring Hall on the interactive campus map. For safety, school busses can loop in to drop students off by the door of Derring Hall, then go park elsewhere.
VT Parking passes are needed only during 8-5, M-F, available free at the VT Visitor Center. Parking lots and a garage are nearby. Handicap spaces are located immediately next to the building on both N and S sides. No parking pass needed after 5 or weekends. For more info see other parts of this website or call 540-231-6894.
Groups and classes should schedule their time in advance to prevent overcrowding. Reservations are first-come, first-served. Please contact Sharon Collins at least 2 weeks ahead of time, at 540-231-6894, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. See the CALENDAR (GoogleCal here).
Tour guides are also available by advance reservation during limited hours. Programs usually focus on fossils and minerals, but can also address a wide range of earth science topics on request.
- Group Name, or course number and name
- Contact person(s): Name, email, phone
- Requested date and time, flexible? (must be 2 weeks in advance)
- End time if on deadline
- Number of students (less than 30 per group, limited space here)
- Ages or Grade level
- If kids, number of adults (1 per 10)
- Special requests, notes, SOLs to address
- Please check the Museum homepage for map and directions, parking info, etc.
Click for a scavenger hunt for a general audience and/or younger children, a Standards of Learning-based scavenger hunt with Key for grade 5 and up, and check for pre- and post-visit materials as they are developed.
Although we can design a visit according to a specific request, we specialize in the following programs:
- Preschool program
- Elementary school/home school program (grades K-5),
- Fifth to eighth grade program with SOL focus
- Cub scout/girl scout program (esp. Webelos geologist pin)
- Adult program for non-geologists
These programs are described in detail in this .pdf document.